Sunday 2 November 2014

Day two

I have run out of adjectives to describe this beautiful city. So instead you shall have pictures of today's wandering which included a visit to the Anne Frank House, particularly poignant because this year marks 70 years since the smiling schoolgirl was wrenched from her hiding place and arrested.

I'm not sure what Anne would have made of the queues snaking around the canal street where she spent 25 months hiding from the Nazis, but I can't say I was overly impressed. Still, it was a lovely day to wait in line and as it's been more than (say it quietly) 20 years since I last paid my respects to this courageous young woman, an hour in the sunshine with good coffee wasn't too much to ask. Besides, it was heartening to see that, 70 years on, so many people are still prepared to bear witness to the darkness of 1944. I only hope I can do Anne justice with my story.

The rest of the day was spent walking - Amsterdam is a city made for aimless wandering and I meandered up and down canals and tiny cobbled streets, marvelling at how elegant it all is.

Am currently awaiting the arrival of the Animator - his flight gets in from London shortly so best get a wiggle on.

The first few pics are of 263 Prinsengracht, where Anne sought refuge so many years ago.









This last random shot was of the Halloween display outside a local store - slightly mad  but totally in context in this gorgeous but quirky city.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...