Sunday 29 September 2013

Public speaking

About a month ago, an email plopped into my inbox from a very nice woman, asking if I would be the headline act at a meeting of the Wellington branch of Travcom, the NZ travel writers organisation. This is the esteemed bunch that, earlier this year, handed me a bunch of cash, a trip to Hong Kong and the kudos of being the Cathay Pacific NZ Travel Writer of 2013.

At first, I demurred; I would be out of the country, I had little to say, etc, etc. But they changed the date and made so many accommodations, it felt churlish to refuse. And so on Tuesday night, I will join a panel of far more accomplished writers than myself in attempting to unpick what makes a good travel story. It's not that I have a problem with standing in front of a room full of my peers (let's not forget that talking is one of my favourite things), it's just that trying to peel back the layers of something so subjective can be pretty hit and miss. Let's just hope it's the former...

Today's visuals are from our recent Singapore media trip. Given that my first story for NEXT Magazine is due in exactly 20 days, I really need to get a move on but, due to the roll call of other stories/corporate copywriting, I haven't even glanced over my notes yet. Arghhhhh.....














     

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...