Wednesday 1 May 2013

Getting it back

There's a slightly hippy idea that the universe sends you things at exactly the time you need them.

I'm not sure how much I subscribe to that belief but , like most things in life, I'm prepared to give it a whirl.

Today, I had an interview scheduled with the brilliant British writer Neil Cross (writer of nine crime novels, and TV shows such as Spooks and the gruesomely brilliant Luther) that I wasn't really looking forward to. Since returning from Korea a month ago, I've been playing catch-up. Not, as it turns out, very successfully as I'm sailing close to the wind with a couple of deadlines and constantly rescheduling interviews to fit a stupidly overwrought schedule (of my own making, of course. Put it down to the freelancer's curse of having to take work while it's there, lest it dries up tomorrow).

Whingeing aside, I didn't have the time or energy to schlep to an outer suburb of Welly, find out why Cross writes the things he does and then spend precious hours transcribing my tape and writing 2,200 sparkling, interesting words. But then the universe sent me one of the most engaging - and engaged - interview subjects I've had in a long time. There was tea, lots of it, and biscuits and all manner of anecedotes - from having lunch with Harrison Ford to how he comes up with increasingly inventive ways to hurt, kill and maim. Being from Bristol, we also spent time swapping stories about the city.  

And now, thank god, Shazza has her writing groove back on...


(Photo credit: stuff.co.nz)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...