Saturday 23 August 2014

Marvellous Melbourne

Apologies for the radio silence - the Wi-Fi in my hotel room wouldn't come to the party. Slightly frustrating, but why paddle in the negative end of the pool?

Melbourne was all kinds of wonderful - particularly the 21 degrees she trotted out yesterday. Here's me on the roof of our fabulous accommodation, the Adelphi Hotel  where myself and Vanessa, the other Kiwi journo, were confused and disoriented by the strange golden orb in the sky, but decided to enjoy it anyway.


However, I'm getting ahead of myself. First there was this sweet welcome to my room, scribbled in lipstick on the mirror:

 Apologies for the bad photography (note to self, must not drop phone so many times) but it reads: "Dear Sharon, welcome to the Adelphi and have a wonderful time in Melbourne". Cute.

Of course the big night was Wednesday, and the lavish opening of the Emporium Melbourne. The Age tells it better than I can (although I will have to attempt to do so for the 1500 word story). Basically, director Baz Luhrmann created a series of vignettes to tell the story of Melbourne's history - from oversized polystyrene horses and jockeys, representing the Melbourne Cup, to a swathe of gladioli (a tribute to, who else, but Dame Edna Everage).

The cocktails and bubbly flowed freely and Vanessa and I had a lovely time.







'
And here's a shot of Baz himself (well the back of his head). He personally popped over for a chat, asked how our cocktails were and suggested we drink of five of them. Which we dutifully did.


Yesterday I caught up with my adorable friend Nickely, who I worked with at the BBC about 150 years ago. She is now the mother of three (!) and still a dancer and beautiful chick. I last saw her a couple of years ago when we were living in Bristol and she was in Oxford. She returned to Melbourne three years ago and we spent a fabulous few hours catching up on the last few years.


Almost forget to mention a vintage tour I did with an amazeballs woman on Thursday (her beehive is probably visible from space) but those pics are yet to come.



And a couple of general shots of Melbourne. It's been a while between drinks but this city remains a favourite.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...