Saturday 31 December 2016

Good riddance to 2016



The one thing no-one could accuse 2016 of is being boring. There were global political rumbles, actual seismic rumbles and a Grim Reaper busier than Trump's propaganda team.

On a personal level, it was a real snakes and ladders year - one step forward, one slide back. Thankfully nothing too major, just a bunch of annoyances strung together like baubles on a necklace that made me roll my eyes more than I probably ever have.

BUT, everything comes to an end and, thank Christ, 2016 is almost done. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Here's my once-over-lightly post-mortem of 2016:         


Things I loved:
  • Media trips to Italy, Vietnam, Canada, the US, Australia and Dubai
  • A new rental property
  • A milestone birthday (and the freedom it gave me to decide the life I want and go about creating it, as well as not giving any f*cks anymore about what anyone thinks. Getting older is way cooler than it's given credit for). 
  • Finally chucking in govt contracting (it only took 10 years!!)
  • A fabulous part-time PR/copywriting gig (NOT govt!)
  • Lots of interesting commissions to write the shizzle out of
  • A couple of new magazines to write for
  • Monday night SPCA puppy waking volunteering - the highlight of my week 
  • The Welly Childfree Chicks group - so nice to have like-minded women to talk to. I only wish I had made it to more events but I will definitely be a starter in 2017.  
  • Red wine
  • Running; it may be a bit optimistic to put this in the 'love' category but it keeps me sane and helps with the lard-arse management   
  • New friends, old friends and my two favourite boys.

Things I didn't love so much:
  • The world's shocking slide into the toilet (Brexit and Trump, I'm looking at you)  
  • Earthquakes - enough already
  • A contract that made me want to chop my head off
  • Work that didn't make my soul sing
  • Bitchy, arsey editors who treat freelancers like something stuck to the bottom of their shoe (I'm convinced there is a special place in hell for these women)
  • The dickhead bogan who moved a house onto the section next to us at the beach, prompting us to sell our beach-house (actually, it worked out okay in the end because we made some dosh and it's actually quite a relief to have one less house to worry about, so maybe this should be in the above category).   
Movies I laughed and cried at:
  • Hunt for the Wilderpeople
  • Spotlight
  • Nocturnal Animals
  • The Light Between Oceans
  • Captain Fantastic
  • The Girl on the Train
  • Sing Street
  • The BFG
  • A Bigger Splash
  • Loving
  • Zootopia.
Books I adored (of the 25 review books I read this year):
  • A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
  • The Ballroom by Anna Hope
  • The Long Room by Francesca Kay
  • Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley
  • The Mother by Yvette Edwards
  • Under the Influence by Joyce Maynard
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon
  • Foxlowe by Eleanor Wasserberg.  
Unmissable tee-vee (to be fair, the list of films above is so light because telly really is the new cinema, in our house, anyway):
  • Transparent
  • The Affair
  • Stranger Things
  • American Crime
  • The Crown
  • Girls
  • America Divided
  • Orange is the New Black 
  • Homeland
  • Happy-ish
  • Suits
  • Divorce
  • Empire
  • United Shades of America.

The soundtrack to my year:
  • Prince/Bowie/Cohen and now George Michael - all gone too soon
  • Sia
  • Beyonce
  • The jazz and classical music stations on Pandora, the only music I can work to. 

Happy New Year, y'all. Hope 2017 is everything you want it to be. 


(Pic credit: Dreamstime.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...