Monday 31 December 2012

2012 Report Card


So 2102 happened. I'm unsure as to where the last 12 months have gone but it's once again time to smile at the good and prod the bruises of the bad. And to shake my head at the collection of WTF moments strung together like Christmas lights. Dear 2013, please be better than 2012. That is all... 

1. WHAT DID YOU DO IN 2012 THAT YOU'VE NEVER DONE BEFORE?
Walked a red carpet, learnt Spanish, had a breast ultrasound, did a Le Cordon Bleu course and ate Xialongbao in Shanghai.

2. WHICH COUNTRIES DID YOU VISIT?
The US and China.

3. WHAT DID YOU WANT THIS YEAR AND GET?
A national writing prize, travel adventures, a Kitchen Aid, a new car and lots of interesting things to write the shit out of.

4. WHAT DID YOU WANT THIS YEAR AND NOT GET?
A tardis to drop in on mates around the world - and be back in time for work on Monday. Fewer tiresome folk to deal with.

5. WHAT DO YOU WANT IN 2013 THAT YOU DIDN'T HAVE IN 2012?
The aforementioned tardis: seriously science-type blokes, get a move on already. A day job that challenges and interests me. For fuckwits to go annoy someone else.

6. WHAT DATE FROM 2012 WILL REMAIN IN YOUR MEMORY AND WHY?
The day Molly died. Winning a national writing competition. Spending the Animator's milestone birthday in Shanghai.

7. WHAT DID YOU LEARN THIS YEAR?
Compromising my values and beliefs never ends happily. Learning Spanish is hard. I need to get better about walking away from people and situations that don't suit me.

On a practical note, that tradesmen are universally unreliable. And that I would sooner give up my left kidney than red wine.

8. WHAT WAS THE HIGHPOINT OF THE YEAR?
Seeing Molls for the last time in May/June. Escaping twice from NZ, finishing the house renovations and winning a national writing competition. And the parcels of goodness from Anita, my sartorial guardian angel.

9. WHAT WAS THE LOW POINT OF THE YEAR?
A contract that stretched my sanity and my will to live.

10. WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU'D DONE MORE OF IN 2012?
Yoga and running; spending time with people I love and respect and not wasting time on those who don't merit it; writing my own stuff and reading.

11. WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU'D DONE LESS OF IN 2012?
Wasting time, energy and emotion on undeserving folk; certain work contracts.

12. DID YOU SUFFER FROM ILLNESS OR INJURY?
Touching every piece of wood I can find, but thankfully no. It was a close run thing with the breast issue but thank god that worked itself out.

13. WHAT WAS THE BEST THING YOU BOUGHT?
Finishing the renovation; plane tickets to exotic places; the Kitchen Aid, new vehicle and parcels of goodness.

14. WHO OR WHAT DID YOU WANT TO LOCK IN A CUPBOARD AND THROW AWAY THE KEY FOR IN 2012?
Sorry to be so predictable, but the list is pretty much a repeat of the last two years: breeders with screamy, uncontrollable brats; bastards who do unthinkable things to animals; the rubbish economy. Certain colleagues also deserved a bluddy good slap upside their heads.

15. WHAT WERE YOUR FAVOURITE MOVIES THIS YEAR?
Hugo, The Help, One Day,War Horse and, of course, the delightful Aardman epic, The Pirates (esp my husband's contribution). Again, because of the husband connection, I'm morally obliged to add The Hobbit to this list (even though I haven't seen it and have no desire to).

16. WHAT WERE YOUR FAVOURITE TV SHOWS?
Breaking Bad, Homeland, Downton Abbey, Californication, Modern Family and Glee.

16. WHERE DID YOUR MONEY GO IN 2012?
See question 13

17. DID YOU ACHIEVE YOUR NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS? AND DO YOU HAVE ANY FOR 2013?
Yes, I was after more certainty in my life in terms of where and how I was going to live and we achieved that, so well done us. I also made a feeble attempt to master another language and organised a kick arse trip for the Animator's milestone birthday.

Twenty thirteen is all about more media trips, doing more of my own writing and buying another rental property which will bring me one step closer to loosening the shackles of PR contacting.

Bring it on, I say....
(Pic credit: Google Images)

2 comments:

  1. What a full 2012 you had! But then you always did know how to pack more into life than most of us!

    Happy New Year Shaz and I look forward to reading about your exploits in 2013.

    Marie x0x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping it's a lot better than twenty twelve...

    Happy New Year to you hon and hope all your dreams come true this year..

    SSx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...