Tuesday 27 January 2015

How hot is it?

On the other side of the globe, 60 million people in the US are shivering under a wind-whipped blizzard they're calling the worst since records began in the 1800s.

Here in NZ, we are melting. I'm turning my memory inside out trying to remember such a hot summer. The other day the mercury read 31 degrees and as I type this, it's 9.20pm and the internet tells me it's still 25 degrees.

Today my boss took us down to the waterfront to scoff our faces full of gelato; it was so hot, we huddled under the shade of an overpass, eager to eat our ice cream before it turned into a milkshake. Everyone is having trouble sleeping and the news is reporting the highest number of sun stroke/sunburn patients on record.

It took a while, but global warming finally made it to NZ. I'm not going to whine about the heat, because in a few weeks extraordinary amounts of water will no doubt be falling from the sky. Thank you summer, for gracing us with your presence.

Today's visual is of Briz at the beach (not, of course, taken today, but last week).





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...