Tuesday 31 December 2013

Fare thee well


Twenty thirteen has almost dragged itself across the finish line. Previously, I've marked the passing of another year with a report card.

This time around, however, I lack both the energy and the time to do so. This year has been absolutely knackering and although there have been more good days than bad, it's time to throw a cloth over 2013 and move on. So instead of the usual in-depth post mortem, this year you shall have the once over lightly version.

Things I loved:
  • Winning the Cathay Pacific NZ Travel Writer of the Year Competition
  • Media trips to Seoul and Singapore
  • A visit to the parentals in Oz 
  • Two crazy awesome day contracts
  • Lots of interesting commissions to write the shizzle out of
  • One giant leap forward for financial freedom; two more years and we should be able to get the hell out of Dodge
  • My fire-engine red Kitchen Aid 
  • A new book reviewing gig and three new magazines to write for
  • Red wine
  • Running; it may be a bit optimistic to put this in the 'love' category but it keeps me sane and helps with the lard-arse management   
  • New friends, old friends and my two favourite boys.

Things I didn't love so much:
  • One contract that made me want to chop off my head
  • Work that didn't make my soul sing
  • Bitchy, arsey editors who treat freelancers like something stuck to the bottom of their shoe (I'm convinced there is a special place in hell for these women)
  • The winter, which seemed to go on for 873 days
  • Shitty, inconsiderate neighbours and their shittier stereos. When I am Mayor, sub-woofers are the first thing I will outlaw.
Movies I laughed and cried at, and then watched over:
  • Moonrise Kingdom
  • The Kings of Summer
  • Flight
  • Gravity
  • Paranorman
  • The Butler.
Books I adored (of the 30 I managed to read this year):
  • The Lowland by Jumpa Lahiri 
  • The Newlyweds by Nell Fruendberger
  • American Wife by Curtis Stittenfeld
  • The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano
  • Drown by Junot Diaz
  • A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon.
Unmissable tee-vee:
  • Breaking Bad (you are sorely missed)
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Orphan Black
  • Homeland
  • Suits
  • Scandal
  • The Killing (the Danish one, not the American version)  
  • The Newsroom
  • Top of the Lake
  • House of Cards.
The soundtrack to my year:
  • City and Colour
  • Bon Iver 
  • Lana Del Ray
  • Lorde.
What 2014 has in store: 
  • A media trip to Hong Kong and Europe in Feb/March
  • A visit to Mum and Dad's new house in May  
  • More interesting contracts and freelance work (she says, crossing everything on her person that it shall be so)
  • The ability to say 'No' - to things that don't interest me/that eat away at my soul/that feel icky - and mean it
  • More doggy meet ups
  • Rediscovering my love of running via the running group
  • Learning to finally make my peace with GST, ACC and all the other bullshit that goes with being self-employed 
  • Another rental property/lifestyle property/investment of some sort
  • Letting go of the crap that doesn't matter and embracing that which does.    
Happy New Year y'all. Hope 2014 is everything you want it to be. 

(Pic credit: Tumblr) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...