Monday 5 November 2012

Bluddy fireworks

Warning: rant alert.

Light years ago, when I was a baby journalist, I interviewed a teenager who had most of his fingers blown off by a stray firework. The next day, I interviewed a kid whose eyeball was turned inside out, his face rippled with scar tissue; both were remnants of Guy Fawkes Night.

Along with badly behaved rug-rats, racists and animal abusers, fireworks are among the first things I'll ban when I'm in charge of the world. They're dangerous, stupid and a huge waste of money: why not just burn a pile of $20 notes in your driveway and be done with it?

And don't even get me started on the insanity of celebrating some dumb-arse Catholic on the other side of the world who, hundreds of years ago, tried to blow up one of the most beautiful buildings in London.  

The Animator supports organised displays and he's right, they are a heap safer. But seriously, haven't people got anything better to do on a grey Monday night (Homeland, anyone?)

Tonight, baby Bristol is agitated and I am trying to keep him calm. We will both be happier when this idiotic "celebration" is over.
  (Pic: Google Images)

2 comments:

  1. Full agree with you. I was at a party on saturday and kids were throwing them around and no-one seemed too concerned - freaked me out!

    It's all about the retailers making money and just as ludicous as celebrating Halloween here. Whinge over!

    Sas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear....there seems to be no end of silly ways to part people from their hard-earned cash. Not to mention parting folk from their limbs, sight, mobility, etc....enough already...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...