Friday 10 June 2011

Doughnut domination

I first came face-to-face with Krispy Kreme doughnuts on a particularly eventful bus ride through Los Angeles.

So moved was I by the experience that I wrote a travel piece about it (the doughnuts, sadly, were relegated to a bit part). If I may say, without blowing my trumpet in too vulgar a fashion, that story went on to win a 2009 NZ travel writing prize.

Anyhoo, I'm reminded of Kirspy Kreme by the news that the US behemouth has just opened its 46th outlet in the UK; they're aiming for 100 in the next five years. Apparently more than 1000 people queued for two hours at the opening of the latest UK store in Cardiff, including one couple who camped overnight. The latter is so obsessed with the temple of fat and sugar that they plan to attend the opening of every Krispy Kreme store this side of the pond. Some people really need more in their lives.

I wish I could say these calorific rings have never passed my lips but that would be a big fat lie. My hairdresser seems unable to function without boxes of them, and I've been known to self-medicate with the odd chocolate ice glazed doughnut when the pre-menstrual demons have been circling.

But at around 300+ calories each, me and my fat arse need to steer well clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...