Wednesday 11 April 2012

Getting back in the saddle...

Before I left NZ in May 2010, I'd built up quite a stable of publications that ran my freelance work.

Getting back into the freelancing saddle takes some doing - editors change, relationships have to be built, blah blah. And there's that whole thing of having to once again prove yourself as not only a good writer, but one who respects deadlines and word counts.

Today I was lucky enough to have a piece accepted by the Sunday Star Times magazine, which is imaginatively called Sunday. Back BB (Before Bristol) I used to file a lot profiles and essay-type pieces for this mag, so it's nice to be re-admitted to those pastures.

This afternoon I was also commissioned to write a travel piece for an Auckland publication so, all in all, a very productive day.

4 comments:

  1. Go you! I love reading your writing so glad you're back doing what your love. Can we maybe have links to the stories online once they run?

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words. I'm not sure I want to go back to full-time freelancing but using the other side of my brain, which the day job doesn't really bother too much, makes for a nice contrast.

    Not all stories are published online but where they are, will defo link to them.

    SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Shazzy! You'd have noooooo trouble getting back on that freelance horse - got all the proof in the world that you're an exsherrent writer! I'd use you in a heartbeat if I was still editor of that mag. It's not luck. It's skill. And that's what you have my dear.

    Can't wait to see ya!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sweetie, how nice of you to say. One day we will work together again!

    Looking forward to seeing you in Auckers

    SSx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...