Tuesday 10 May 2011

One year

“I've had my fun, baby I'm done. I wanna go home...”

Michael Buble


A year ago today, I wheeled my suitcase off the Eurostar and onto a train bound for Bristol Temple Meads. It was a cold, grey day and my shock at seeing the flat the Animator had rented was almost palpable.

To say I've been disappointed with the economic and job situation here is to cover myself in glue and run naked through the Understatement Store. It's daft to draw comparisons, but the contrast between now and when I lived in London back in the day couldn't be more pronounced. Sadly, it looks as though the Great UK Recession Festival isn't going to be selling out of tickets anytime soon.

But today the sun is shining (sort of) and there are all sorts of new and exciting things in the pipeline, so why waste energy on crap? And it hasn't all been bad – there's been some great travel, lots of laughs and it's been fantastic for the Animator's CV. From my perspective, it's also been kind of nice to take a break from my 'real' life and career.

But what I'm most thankful for today is that in a few short months, I get to invoke my escape clause and head back to the land of plenty.

In the interests of marking today's milestone, I am going to celebrate in time-honoured British fashion – by getting drunk. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, a year! Hasn't that gone quickly? Shame the economic situation over there isn't good but can't wait till you get back. There's lots of PR contracts here and not enough people to fill them! Your skills and experience have been sorely missed. So get on that plane now! Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw shucks! thanks for the kind words, hon.
    Lots and lots of gos to catch up on - and several bottles of NZ Pinot Noir! Keep that bar seat warm for me..

    SSx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...